Saturday, January 26, 2013

Terra's first letter from the MTC!


We got our first letter from Terra!  She wrote it the first night in the MTC and it came in the mail today.  I'll preface it by saying that this photo is of Terra and her friend Kellie Mcdougle, who was also called to serve in the Columbus Ohio Mission.  They both entered the MTC on the same day, but about an hour apart.  Kellie was on Terra's floor in the dorms and they are good friends.  So they were super excited to know that they'd be sharing this adventure together.  They hoped that they'd get to be in the same group in the MTC and would get to see each other often.

Also, you have to know that Terra was feeling some trepidation about entering the MTC on the days just before while we were in Provo.  She kept looking at her life at BYU that she has had (while getting together with old roommates and good friends) and thought, "Why am I leaving all of this?"  When it was time for her to enter the MTC, we drove down the hill from the Provo temple across the intersection to the entrance of the MTC and she started screaming, "What am I doing?  I can't do this!  Turn around!"  Yes, it was crazy, but it was Terra and we all laughed -- she did, too.  She quieted down by the time we talked to the people at the Security booth and it was just a few minutes later that we hugged and waved goodbye.  So I'm sure you can see how I've been wondering how Terra has been and if she has settled in (and I've been praying around the clock, too!)

Here are some cute photos of her envelope --




Here's Terra's letter --

Dear Mom & Family,
It is my first night in the MTC.  Guess what, I MADE IT and guess what, I LOVED IT!   Mitch Fultz told me once that the moment I step into the MTC, you are filled with peace.  He was right.  It's crazy to think that after I screamed in the car to turn around as we drove into the MTC, that 5 minutes later, all of that anxiety was gone.  All of it.  And I just felt good.  Then about an hour later and then for the rest of the day I was filled with extreme happiness because KELLIE McDOUGLE IS MY COMPANION!!!  It's such a sweet blessing, definitely a tender mercy of the Lord.  
This is a wonderful place.  I love it already.  Everyone is so friendly.  I wish I could write more, but it's lights out in a few minutes.  But know that I am very happy :).  I love you all!  
Love, Terra

But wait, there's MORE! Terra wrote to her sister Cebre, as well. Here are some little nuggets from her letter:
I didn't know what to expect coming in, and I can fairly say that it isn't what I expected. I thought it was going to be, gosh, I don't even know. But in reality, it feels like a little BYU where everyone dresses nicely every day and no one knows each other's first names. And the Spirit is here. What a place. I expected everyone to be 100% focused and mature, but I forgot that the guys that are here are only 19, and that their maturity comes from their mission. 
But I like it here. Yes, it is a little bit scary and it's tiring to always be doing something and having to learn so much, but it's a good place.  It's a very good place.  It's only day two and I've had humbling experiences.  I'm going to be teaching real people and that means I have to really know what I teach them. I realized how very little I actually know. How am I supposed to learn it all in 3 weeks?  I guess I'll be learning as I go the whole mission. Gosh, this is scary, but I'm here and I'm not going to leave. 
I need more faith, Cebre. A lot more faith. A heck of a lot more faith. And I'm not quite sure how to get that. I guess I need to have faith that if I work hard, and trust in the Lord, I will gain faith. How ironic. 
I already feel 5x more boring since I've been here, but that's okay. Maybe I was a little too crazy. I'm sure that however I change is all for the best. 
Love, Terra

4 comments:

  1. i love this sweet, angelic girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I need to tell drew to look out for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lex! They're in the same district! I told her to look out for him and she wrote in her letter that he's there! So fun, huh?

      Delete