Thursday, October 24, 2013

Drake -- SHORT haircut

This is a store that dad used to go to on his mission
when he was in Germany.
Dear Mom,

Happy Birthday once again!
Wszystkiego Najlepszego z okazji urodzin! :)

That's so crazy that Emma is getting married. That's cool that Terra gets to go to it.
Racer probably won't be happy that he has to go and doesn't even get to attend the wedding... haha :)
That was so funny when he did that at, was it Audrey's wedding?

Speaking of Audrey, when does Trevor get home from his mission in Brazil?

Thank you for the Jammy Scone recipe! I am going to make them this week. Tell Shauna that.  (see below for recipe, if you're interested).

Thank you for the Polish Months meanings! That is perfect and just what I wanted!!

I have given a couple talks already, I think. But they just cycle through missionaries and members.
But guess what I heard today!
Elder Peacock's friend is serving a mission in Long Island, New York. And his mission is a only a third of the size of our BRANCH boundaries but his mission has almost 5 times as many missionaries! Our mission has like 60 and his has 280!
AAAH! Haha! Our mission boundaries are huge and we have like no missionaries! haha
But I guess you could say that we are slowing growing. The amount of incoming missionaries each transfer is always bigger than the outgoing, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sisters!

(Note from Renee:  I wrote and told him that Lexie went to a Decades Dance in Fremont last weekend.  Drake had this idea to have a Decades Dance last year and planned it when Santa Cruz was in charge of the Multi-Stake Dance.  They started with the 50's and played music from that decade for 20 or 30 minutes, then switched to the 60's, 70's and so on.  The kids dressed up for whichever decade they liked and Drake got to play his favorite music from every era!)

A decade's dance, huh? So they got that idea from me? I guess that is pretty cool. Did it go well?
Yeah, Fremont is where I went with KayLee to the first LDS prom.

This week I have my 8 month mark on my mission. That means I will be a third of the way through my mission. That is sooooo crazy. It is going by waaaaay super fast. Well. I don't know. Not really. It does seem like forever ago that I went into the MTC. But just thinking that it has already been 8 months is just insane. Pretty soon I am going to be saying that I at my year mark!!

Yesterday there was District Conference in Warsaw. (Like Stake Conference) But no one from our branch could go... so our branch didn't attend. Instead we had a Sacrament Meeting and then watched talks from the last General Conference. (In Polish)
We watched President Uchtdorf's. It was super good! Now I want to watch it in English! haha :)

We have a Chinese investigator named Chris. And he has been coming to church almost every week. We invited him to get baptized yesterday, but he said that he would, but he wants to learn more about our church first and read the Book of Mormon. So we gave him a goal to finish the Book of Mormon and are helping him with that.

Polish people look different than Americans. And they never smile. Haha. It's weird, because I can't describe how they look different, but like when you see some man or lady walking down the street and look at their face, I just think, "Well that doesn't look like someone you would see walking down the street in California." It's interesting.


I got a haircut this week. The sisters were getting after me and telling me that it was too long. So now it is short.
But it is getting cold. So now my head is cold. But it's ok. Because I bought a hat. Well actually two. One is a fluffly fur one. Like real fur. It looks like the one that Russian people wear. But it hasn't gotten cold enough to wear it yet. The other one is the old man British golfer one. It's nice. It's fun wearing a scarf.

Love,
Elder Drake Allen

Note from Renee -- Just for fun, a flashback to Drake's old hairstyle.  It would often get much longer than this and we had many conversations about "it's time to get your hair cut" -- now the Sisters get to tell him :) .

Jammy Scones

3 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
3/4 c. + 2 T. butter
1 c. buttermilk (or milk + 1 T. lemon juice or white vinegar)
1/4 c. favorite jam

Heat oven to 425  degrees.  Combine dry ingredients.  Use a pastry cutter (or two butter knives, one in each hand) to cut the butter until the dough resembles coarse cornmeal.  Avoid overhandling the dough. Add the buttermilk.  Gather the dough into a ball.

Pat the dough on a lightly floured surface and form it with your hands into a rectangle about 1 inch thick.  Spread jam on half of the rectangle.  Fold the other half onto the jammed half and roll out into a long rectangular shape about 3/4 inch thick.  Cut the dough into 12 diamonds.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 14-15 minutes.

These freeze really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment