Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Terra -- Lancaster, Ohio

Brand new Sister Burton with Terra
(texted to Renee from a woman at transfers)
Well as you probably know by now, I am in Lancaster Ohio! It is a lot more beautiful than Eastgate (but I still absolutely love Eastgate) but I left my camera in Eastgate, so I have no pictures to send home this week. Sorry about that. But that's okay. So! I am training two sisters. I'm finished the second half of Sister Reed's training (she came out 1 transfer ago) and starting the training for Sister Burton (she came out just this past transfer). So...that's been a little bit of a whirlwind. They are both pretty timid, so I've had to pull out my "crazy Terra" side quite often. It's interesting though how being put in a leadership position changes your perspective and the way you work. I have had to completely switch around my mindset. I have had to cast away all fears of being shy myself. We can't have 3 shy missionaries in one area!!! What would get done?! So I've really had to step up the plate. But it's been okay. It's been fun to be able to use my own ideas for how we can help the work progress. 

During my first personal study in our new apartment (which is SUPER CUTE by the way) I was feeling a little stressed inside. And also super upset. Okay, let me tell you this. During the transfer meeting, when I found out that I was not with Sister Stump anymore and not in Cincinnati anymore, my heart just broke. It was one of the worst feelings I have ever felt. That's the truth! I held in tears the entire meeting, my face hurt from holding them back. And then at the end when we sang "Nearer My God to Thee" I just lost it. Why? Why was I being separated with companions I loved and worked so well with? Why was I being taken away from an area I love? I was so angry, and hurt, and so sad. Just so so sad. But I had to hide that all away when we drove to our new area. Anways, the first morning we were in our new place, I was sitting at my desk. I was observing everything on the desk. An old bin with pens in it..papers. And I looked in the one drawer it had. Inside was a quote on old water-colored paper. The quote read,

 "Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses, applied simultaneously. When these trails are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain." --Richard G. Scott

I folded it up, and put it in my Book of Mormon. I am keeping that quote forever. I was definitely meant to read that that morning. I realized that it's not about being comfortable. Missions aren't supposed to be comfortable. Growth isn't supposed to be comfortable. I was comfortable in Eastgate. I was comfortable with Sister Stump and Sister Ward. It was time for me to leave and grow some more somewhere else. Richard G. Scott's testimony really helped me. I read this quote nearly everyday now and I probably will each day for a while. The Lord feels that I am prepared to grow more, so I am going to do my best to remember that and to trust Him.

Love, Terra

No comments:

Post a Comment